Tuesday, April 17, 2012

First six weeks...

Well hello family!
What a couple of fun letters I was able to read today.  I appreciate all the love and support I feel from you at home.  I can picture all that's going on and it sounds like everyone is doing well.  Good to hear.  Yes, things are warming up very nicely here.  It sounds like we got about a week of beautiful weather and then we'll be sweating our brains out in nice and hot humidity.  Not what you picture when you think of Russia!  And funny to think we were walking through snow on ice covered streets a couple weeks ago.  Yes sorry moma, I couldn't get the pics to attach last week.  So, we'll try again!  This week we were able to go to the Kremlin here.  The city center is so cool it has a little bit of a D.C. feel to it.  It is in the other area across the river, but we still have a great area of course.  It is a cool place with a big Russian orthodox temple with the big mosque right across from it in the complex thing.  Really its like a big fortress from like 1000 years ago, kind of a castle.  It's a cool place I'm in.
Well tranfers came around this week and I was able to escape the destroying angel.  Elder Christensen unfortunately was made a zone leader and has left me. He was such a blessing and I will definitely miss him.  He is a great missionary. My companion, Elder Taylor will be the new district leader and I am so excited to work with him.  We will continue to travel around and visit the other elders in our spread out district, but I love it.  It makes the time fly though.
So, things continue to look just wonderful in good ol Kazan.  I hope I can spend a lot of time here.
Things were quite interesting this week as we continued to do the work.  We spent Tuesday and Wednesday with the south elders in Kazan. As I said, that half of the city is across the river and is a very cool place.  Very cool Russia is all I can explain it as.  And it is very well kept, so it was just a couple of great days.  We were able to find a bunch of people and hopefully jump start the area.  We spent the latter part of the week back at the ranch on the north side of the city.  The suspense with the brothers continues on.  It causes for some deep mulling over of things as I try to wrap my mind around what they are going through.  But we continue to pray for them and try our best to stay in contact.  They have found work but it just isn't enough. So, we will continue to pray and hope for their happiness.  Heavenly Father has a good plan for them in store.  Whether in this life or the next, they will accept the gospel.  We also were able to meet with some ladies that cracked me up.  Elder Christensen had found one of them a few weeks ago with the zone leaders.  She brought her friends and they are excited to meet again and so we are excited for that.  They remind me of Grandma Sher and I get a kick out of it.  I wanna learn how to ask if they wanna grab a "peps" and eat some spanish food with me and Skeet.  They are awesome.
We then were able to watch conference this weekend!  How awesome was that?  Holy cow I love what was said.  It is so interesting how it so applies to what we are trying to get into people's heads here.  Basic principles, repentance, and the gospel blesses families.  Man, that was awesome.  And I just want to go and sit on a bench with Elder Holland.  Holy cow, his talk was awesome.  We were able to watch some in English on a member's iPad.  Haha kinda funny-people here love technology.  They might not be able to put food on the table, but they have an iPad dang it!  We had a couple of great investigators come that will be so ready to be baptized soon I hope.  I don't know how anyone couldn't after watching that.  It was such a blessing to see our prophet.  It adds a little more meaning when you are on the streets trying to struggle through a different language testifying to someone that we have a prophet of God who receives revelation for our families.  What a blessing we have to have a prophet.
Well I hope all is well.  Grandma 'Net I hope your knee continues to
heal- you'll be running laps around me in no time.  And Grandma Nielson I hope and pray that the treatment gets better.  Sure love you family. Thanks for the pic - man we got a good lookin' fam!  Thanks for the update Tanner- keep playin' hard.  Good luck with grad and stuff Em and Jackson.  Sarah - your the bomb. Just keep it up. :)  and I love you mom and dad.  Thanks for everything you do.  I love you all!
Love,
Elder Nielson

No comments:

Post a Comment